Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Manhattan Deli...and others.

My apologies for not posting for a while. I have definitely been out to eat to places such as: Sam & Gabe's,  A Dong and El Salvador, I just have totally forgotten to take pictures. Quick reviews on those restaurants:

Sam & Gabe's- Best Italian Food in Des Moines...slightly edging out Baratta's (although Baratta's might be the better value of the two). I've been here twice and almost cried because the food was so good. I plan on buying a Groupon for this place EVERY time one is available.

A Dong- Very solid Vietnamese food...I've only had Saigon Cafe before for Vietnamese but it was good. By no means am I an expert though.

El Salvador Del Mundo- Authentic and tasty Salvadorean food. The pupusas there aren't quite as good as the ones at the Farmer's Market but they are about 1/3rd of the price. You could taste the hand-craftedness (word?) in the Corn Tamales. Very inexpensive place to eat (just north of the east side Gino's)

Today's feature restaurant, which I actually remembered to take a picture at, is Manhattan Deli. It is a small deli located on Ingersoll that has a pretty good reputation. You can tell that with how busy they are around lunch time. I first found this place about 5-6 years ago and it has been one of my top places to go for lunch since. Right after I leave, I look forward to the next time I get to go.

The only cons to M.D. is that it is a little bit outside of downtown and they only take cash. Otherwise, they have some of the best sandwiches in Des Moines. This is my top 2 sandwich place in Des Moines (it's tied between them and B&B on the south side).

Probably their most popular sandwich (and my favorite) is the Zach Johnson--named after the 2007 Masters winner AND greatest golfer to ever come out of Drake University (yeah Bulldogs!). Unfortunately, I can't link to their menu since they don't have one online but is has various deli meats, lettuce, tomato, Oil & Mayo (which I replaced with mustard...damn you health conscientiousness). Seems like nothing crazy but the version with the Oil & Mayo is phenomenal. This is my recommendation and I have heard the same from many others.

A great athlete deserves a great sandwich - The Zach Johnson

The "Warm Cheese" for the vegetarian...that doesn't like meat.


Seriously, find a way to make it there soon. They now have extended hours to be open during dinner time and they are open Saturdays so you have no excuse. I didn't find their website but here is their FB page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Manhattan-Deli/111455252228089

What's your favorite sandwich in Des Moines?

No comments:

Post a Comment