Friday, October 3, 2014

Savory Breakfast Casserole (Paleo)

I have the day off and I'm out of breakfast leftovers. I've been sick of the usual breakfast recipes so I looked for simple paleo breakfast recipes. This is what I found...

Looks slightly watery in middle but tasted great and wasn't watery at all.

It tastes so much better than it looks

http://paleomg.com/savory-breakfast-casserole/

I had to go with this recipe because I love casseroles and I had all the ingredients (except the onion). As you may know, I try to go as high protein and lower calorie as possible so this fit the bill. The seasoning combination was awesome--the Sriracha really makes this dish. It's very zesty bordering on overpowering with the Sriracha and pepper. The texture was very similar to egg puff muffins (you've made those by now, right?) with a slightly crispy edge but soft and eggy on the inside.  
 
Some items of note:
  • I used a cheese grater to shred the sweet potato--it worked really well.
  • I recommend using a wider dish as it took a little longer for the eggs to not be runny on top
  • I think my dish was more of a a 6x6 than the recommended one so I had to cook for an additional 25 minutes to make sure all the eggs were cooked (again, using a wider dish would probably help)
    • Be careful doing that though as I probably overcooked the edges leaving it in so much longer.
  • I used Jennie O breakfast turkey sausage instead of Chorizo
  • I used Crystal Farmer's liquid eggs instead of traditional eggs
Nutrition info:
Sausage (1lb): 550 Cals, 70g Protein
Eggs (12 servings): 360C, 60g Protein
Large Sweet potatio: 225C, 4g Protein

I split this up into 4 servings (284C, 33.5g Protein) instead of the recommended 6.

Any other Paleo breakfast recipes I should try?



No comments:

Post a Comment