Friday, July 13, 2012

Bork Loaf

Ok finally, I am going to put some real posts on here. Actually, probably a lot of posts as I have been finding it hard to make time to post. First, we will start with a Pork/Beef meatloaf I made a couple days ago. The plan was to make a ground turkey/pork but I apparently didn't have ground turkey so subbed in some 93/7 ground beef, I think it turned out pretty well...especially since I have only made meat loaf once or twice before.


Above are some of the ingredients used (not shown, Tones Parsley, diced white onion,). Below is recipe & calorie count. The green labeled seasoning is Konriko Brand Jalapeno seasoning which I use for everything. It is basically a medium/light spiciness with a salt/pepper taste. It can be found at SOME  Hy-vees (shame on you S.E. 14th location) under the Tone's spices. Meat loaf is easy, just mix everything together in a bowl well then lump it into a greased (I used Pam) meat loaf pan. I put a little bit of the ketchup on top since I was planning to cover the pan with foil.




Bork Loaf    
Amount Ingredient Est Calories
1lb 93/7 Ground Beef 700
1lb Ground Pork 1160
4 Large Egg 296
1C Bread Crumbs 480
1/2 C Ketchup 116
Dash Parsley  
1/4 C Diced Onions  
1/4 C Diced Green pepper  
1/4 C Worcestershire  
1 teas Minced Garlic  
  Total Calories 2752
  Per Serving (8) 344

Heat the oven to 350F and cook about 80mins.  You will want the meatloaf to be about 160F to be medium doneness.  You may want to check on other meatloaf recipes on whether to cover it or not. I saw most recipes didn't put ketchup on until the last 10 minutes, not sure if they covered the loaf for the whole cooking process.

Packed in but not too tight.


With a little ketchup on top before covering and cooking.

Cooked and missing some pieces.

Meatloaf sandwich with 2 pieces of 45 Calorie Sarah Lee Delightful bread and a sliced of Hy-Vee Pepper Jack (70 calories).   

And there you have it! Lydia and I thought it turned out pretty good. I do love a crispy outside to my loaf and I didn't have that with this recipe. I would imagine you would either broil the last couple mins of the cooking or not cover with foil. One thing you get when you cover is a TON of juices at the top. Great for moisture but may not look as appealing. Fortunately, I can eat anything so that didn't deter me. Try it out or your own variation and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment